Sunday, April 19, 2009

The "Lil Wayne" Craze


Recently I had the displeasure of listening to Lil Wayne's new single. Fortunately I do not know very much about the song except that it has been played on the local radio stations with edits. However, the chorus repeats, "I wish I could F*** every girl in the world"!. And while this is one of many, this song has a connotation and blatant disrespect to both men and women in general that I find unparalleled to other songs used as a single.

It is clear that the general public, or at least those the prescribe to this genre or music, has become extremely tolerant of this kind of message. It begs the question, is little Wayne simply the most chauvinistic, small minded, VD wad or is he only the art imitating the life... ? In my estimation, it is probably a little bit of both which is always the dispute around this kind of music. Musicians only make the music because they know that someone will by it. Why will someone buy it? That is the question. This song should be offensive to every women in the world, literally.

This young man and many of his listeners probably believe that this is some type of compliment. That women are so wonderful that he wishes that he could be with all of them. Ignorance will tell you that this is the case. However, women are constantly and consistently seen as simply a nice place to put someones erection and nothing more. That it is even close to being something that a women would find flattering is saying what men think about what women think of themselves.

It is also clear that perhaps we have not come so far. This man is glorified and seen as more manly because while he cannot screw every girl in the world, he will try and sing it in a song. Whereas a woman would be condemned for that kind of obscenity. Not even Lil Kim has said she would like to sleep with every man in the world. It is as if a woman is only as good as her vagina. The lyrics of this song include sleeping with mentally challenged people! How horrid!

It is extremely disturbing to know that, while this is not perhaps how Lil Wayne lives his life, he has no problem encouraging all males to think of all women as opportunities to have intercourse and to help women be even more confused about their own sexuality and usefulness in life outside the bedroom.


P.S. Lil Wayne, perhaps next time you would like to exclude your mother and child from this lovely aspiration.

11 comments:

  1. I too think that Lil Wayne's lyrics are horrible but in the end I listen to him too. I believe it is not so much the actual message I try to get out of the song but the beat. It just happens that the lyrics are very offensive to women and other minorities. I think that rap artists think that its okay to come up with such vulgar lyrics because the people that listen to them are going to listen to their music even if its offensive to them. The personality, persona, and just the artists portrayal of themselves is what the audience looks at. The audience does not analyze his lyrics.

    ReplyDelete
  2. What can I say, I am a HUGE Lil' Wayne fan! I would attribute that to my little brother and him constanly playing these songs, day and night! His songs have the most amazing beats but yes his lyrics are very vulgar. His new song, "Spit" to be released on the upcoming album "Rebirth" has one line that really sticks out to me...

    "I come straight off my back with a gun like I’m in Iraq"

    Lil' Wayne does not only oppress women(With lyrics like "They loved her fancy underwear
    Every boyfriend, every year
    She tried to keep 'em entertained
    When they can hardly remember her name" from the song "Prom Queen") but he also downgrades minority groups.

    Lil' Wayne's growing popularity is not to go unnoticed, as younger and younger kids are turning to him to learn how to treat others. I hope that Lil' Wayne will clean up his act, even in the least bit, and tell children of all ages that rape is wrong, discrimation is wrong, and that everyone should be treated equally.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Some of Lil Waynes lyrics are horrible, but i listen to him too. Why is it that we all listen to Lil Wayne knowing his lyrics are horrible. It's like that with a lot of music though. I think Lil Wayne knows theyre hurtful lyrics but he knows it'll still sell. Honestly, i think hes just pushing his limits to see how long he can get away with it. I just think if people think it's so horrible then people should stop listening to him and stop buying his cds. Same with other rappers. If everyone stopped spending money on cds and concerts on all the rappers who have horrible hurtful lyrics then eventually they'd stop.

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree that this song could be degrading to women but i agree with what blake said. Every rapper in this business has some sort of song that degrades women and so do bands in the alternative music business. There will always be things in the public eye that not everyone will agree with, so if you do not like it do not listen because there are people out there that do. I do not feel that this really effects our society in a big way because this is just another hit song that will be played for awhile and then disappear all together.

    ReplyDelete
  5. These lyrics are obviously horrible, but I still listen to Lil Wayne. There is something to be said for the fact that almost everyone that has commented on this blog has said that the lyrics in this song are offensive and uncalled for but we all have still said that we listen to him anyways. Why is that? Why is it that these lyrics are obviously offensive to women especailly but women still listen to them? I think the only real way that well be able to get rappers to change their lyrics is for people to stop listening to these artists altogether. Ultimately thats unrealistic because fans are fans and are obviously going to be fans no matter what, but if everyone joined together and stood up against these types of songs eventually they'd have to stop writing them.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I only listen to Lil Wayne when he is on the radio and I have no problem with his lyrics. No matter who you are or what you say everything is offensive to someone. I like the fact that if I were to walk into a bar I could wlak out of there with someone and my guy friends could not. I guess I have a guy's mental state. But if a girl were to go out and no one would show interest in her or want to F*** her she would be offended. What a double standard.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I agree that Lil Wayne has lyrics that are very vulgar and discriminate people but when your a fan of an artist you may like or dislike a song and still like the singer. I listen you Lil Wayne all the time and think he is a very good artist and has good songs. I don't agree with the things being said in the song because it is degrading to women and I realize that and some reason still listen to the song. Why? I don't really know why either.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I find these types of songs absolutley disgusting!! It is very degrading and obscene. Sex should be a personal matter and I really think that these types of songs cause damage to our next generation. I think that it is very offensive and that women are ridiculous for representhing themselves as sexual items.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Lil Waynes lyrics are both disgusting and ignorant. The types of things that he says such as the quoted "I wish I could F*** every girl in the world" is degrading to women. The worst part is is that women who listen to the music think it's good music. They buy the music, sing along to it, and pay again to buy the next vulgar CD that he come out with. The public is definatly buying into the idea that its normal for rappers to talk about women that way and that "women should take it as a compliment". I would be in total disbelief if a man actually said that in front of me. I wonder what his mother would have to say about it. It's disgusting.

    ReplyDelete
  10. This is probably the best example given about messages in rap music because Lil Wayne is the #1 selling rapper in America, yet I am ashamed to say that I listen to his music. The majority of his songs contain offensive lyrics towards women. I think he does this because of his lifestyle and the competitive music world. However, like other artists, Lil Wayne also has very meaningful songs which are appropriate as well. Although some of Lil Wayne’s songs may be degrading for women, he will still continue to be successful because of his name.

    ReplyDelete
  11. i agree with what everyone is saying. lil wayne is probably one of the most vulger song writers out there. yes i listen to his music but before i took this class i never really listed to what he was saying or what messege he was sending to people.

    ReplyDelete